 |
| Bear and McGuyver (1 hr in) |
The last time I set up a tent was a few years ago. At the time, my father and I nearly had what people in the UK refer to as, ‘a domestic’. We’re both ‘experts’ when it comes to setting up tents. I’d like to think of myself as a modern-day female version of ‘Bear Grylls’ and my father considers himself a more ‘refinded’ and dignified McGuyver. So, let your imaginations run wild in a scenario of Bear Grylls and McGuyver setting up a tent in deepest, darkest Canada in the pouring rain with two ‘experts’ that have a way of making something relatively simple seem infinitely more complicated than it should. After about 1.5 hours the tent was erected and my Dad and I shared a beer to celebrate our success.
 |
| Pre-Mtn Acclimatisation - Altitude tent over my bed |
This past weekend I found myself on my own with another tenting challenge – setting up an altitude tent ‘over’ my bed. It wasn’t a very elegant process with poles, arms, mattresses and duvets flailing about. I admit it took about an hour longer than it should have. But I did it. On my own (referring to the instruction manual only after the 3rd unsuccessful attempt). The tent is made of a special grade nylon with 4 clear vinyl windows and a small ‘mesh’ roof for air exchange. My mattress fits inside of the tent and serves as the tent base. Next I add the goose-down duvet, the 400-threadcount bedding and decorative pillows… It looks like a bubble-boy / sultan’s lair….
This ‘portable altitude training sleep system’ will help with the Everest pre-acclimatisation process by simulating sleeping at 3800m and maximizing the physiological benefits associated with altitude training while sleeping or resting. About 45 minutes before I go to bed I turn on the ‘hypoxicator’ (small machine about the size of a microwave) and set it to the desired altitude. The tube running from the machine into the tent then pumps in the air filtered to reduce its oxygen content.
Many would argue that it’s ‘cheating’ (I admit, I doubt Bear Grylls would endorse it!) however from my own personal perspective and as part of the Everest2 programme, I’m confident that it will be an interesting and useful part of the training process. I admit, I’d prefer training high in the Swiss Alps by day with a gorgeous chalet with a fantastic mountain view by night while eating cheese fondue and enjoying the positive effects of altitude but sometimes in life I’ve learned to make compromises….
 |
| Observe the careful pole strategy (attempt 4) |
 |
| After about 2 hours the job's done.... |
 |
Another eventful tent incident - on the Tour du Canada
(thanks for reminding me of this Ross!) |
No comments:
Post a Comment