I’d travelled that morning via an 8-hour flight from London to Canada for some home-cooking courtesy of Mom and also to work with the students of Ridgetown District High School (RDHS) as part of the Everest2 programme. I must admit, I was super excited about returning to a place that had played a dominant role in my life for 5 years (grade 9 – 13). Although RDHS is a small school with about 300 students, it is the cornerstone of the local community serving the residents of Ridgetown. My presentation was ready, I wasn’t too jet-lagged, and my gargantuan, monstrous kit-bag had made it over from the UK without any dramas. It was all going smoothly until the topic of ‘weather’ surfaced…“There is the possibility of 8 – 10cms snow starting tonight” announced the weatherman. Wicked – I love snow!! What great timing – not only can I present at RDHS but I will also see SNOW!! What the weatherman neglected to mention that 8 – 10cms could possibly turn into about 20cms and be accompanied by strong winds…
Growing up on a farm with a father who had a secret obsession with his John Deere tractor-powered snow-plow AND John Deere tractor-powered snow blower has made me a bit blasé about the ‘snow days’ because , growing up, my brothers and I effectively never had a ‘snow day’. Whilst other children used snow days as an opportunity to catch up on the latest cartoons, build snowmen, and have quality family time, my father would listen to the weather in the evening, smile with delight at the prospect of a fresh dump of snow and rush down to the barn to plug in the diesel tractor, preparing it to be fired up for an early morning start…
About 15 minutes later dressed in our warmest snowsuits and with lunchbags in tow my mother would load the 3 of us (Ryan, Adriaan and myself) into the tractor with my Dad and he would literally ‘snow plow’ us the 7 kms to school… Generally, we were the only ones in the entire school apart from one or two teachers and one or two other students with equally snow-plow happy fathers (generally Dutch?!). We would then proceed to spend the day in the school library watching movies until being collected by my father in the tractor that afternoon when we’d had our fill of child-friendly Hollywood blockbusters.
So, the long and short of the story is that I never really thought a ‘snow day’ would ever affect my ability to go to school but Friday morning proved to be the exception (particularly as Dad is now retired and only has a small, much less industrial push blower…). My heart sank this past Thursday morning as the radio began to blare out the school and bus cancellations and as a steady layer of snow continued to accumulate outside of the front door… A SNOW DAY – in MID MARCH?!
Ridgetown District High School and the buses that served it were affected by the cancellations on March 11th – the day that I’d scheduled to present to Ridgetown District High School. I was hugely disappointed - I’d travelled all this way specifically for the presentation and was actually really looking forward to being back at RDHS and working with the students to develop the programme.
That Sunday evening as I flew back to London I couldn’t do much but laugh at my whirl-wind weekend in Canada – I’d had a great visit home, relaxing and caught up with family and friends. I’d eaten my weight in home-cooking, had a great catch up with Elliott. There was a certain’ irony’ in the situation given that I was about to head off for 2 months into a relatively unpredictable environment where the weather has the inherent and unquestionable power to ‘make’ or ‘break’ an expedition and a summit attempt… Perhaps fate was subtly teaching me yet another lesson in advance of my trip to Everest. Perhaps a second attempt at presenting at RDHS is on the cards - second time lucky?! We shall see.
Great posting sis...brought me back to the 'snow days' (or lack there of) and made me realize that students living on a Caribbean Island lose this experience...except for our 'hurricane days'...mother nature has the benefit of the last laugh. Let's hope this is the last time she has the upper hand over you!
ReplyDelete