The Royal Geographical Society was founded to promote the advancement of geographical sciences. Today, it is a world centre for geography, supporting research, education, expeditions and fieldwork, and promoting public engagement and informed understanding of the world's peoples, places and environments.
The RGS has, since its inception in 1830, developed into the largest learned society for geography in the world. It is a globally recognized organization managing an ever expanding grants programme to help those with a passion for travel and exploration; education work to stimulate interest in geography and geographical learning at school; expedition support for potential young leaders; investment in research and higher education; events for traveling enthusiasts and affectionados plus managing the administration and communication with its members and Fellows scattered all across the globe.The Society has been the cornerstone and foundation for many famous explorers and expeditions, including those of:
| In front of the Hillary Everest model at the RGS. |
• James Kingston Tuckey
• David Livingstone
• Robert Falcon Scott
• Richard Francis Burton
• John Hanning Speke
• George W. Hayward
• Henry Morton Stanley
• Ernest Shackleton
• Sir Edmund Hillary
The photographs of these pioneers in exploration, research and education grace the walls of the RGS on Kensington Gore in London, a truly awe-inspiring place. Walking through the halls of the RGS one is immediately transported back in time. It's easy to imagine what it must have been like in the 1920s when great explorers such as George Mallory or Ernest Shackleton sat under a dusty, yellowed map of the world with the Fellows of the RGS, drinking brandy and smoking cigars beside an open hearth with a roaring fire, debating and discussing the logistics for their forthcoming expeditions.. Perhaps I have romanticised this somewhat...!?
I have long been both awed and inspired by the size and scale of the Society’s activities as well as the passion and diverse interests of its members. The Monday evening lecture series and associated events such as ‘Expedition Planning Courses’ have, on many occasions, become my little ‘oasis’ and escape from the hustle and bustle of London. Ranging from 15 minutes to an hour to an evening I am regularly whisked away to the murky dark depths of the oceans to learn about sea horses and bio-diversity on the sea floor, flung to the far reaches of the solar system by an astronaut, sat in inspired by photographs of world-renowned climber Andy Cave discuss his recent expeditions, transported back in time to retrace the footsteps of Alexander the Great… In fact, RGS is where I was first introduced to Future Hope in Kolkata, the school that I am currently working with as part of the Everest2 programme.
I joined the RGS as a Fellow about 6 years ago. When I first applied for the Fellowship I reflected on what I could bring to the Society beyond my love of travel, interest in people and my geography degree. I realised that what I brought with me, developed through my global adventures, is a particular interest in the human side of geography and passion for education. My background is that of a ‘traveller’, rather than an ‘adventurer’ driven not by adrenaline, speed and summits but rather by personal contact with people from all over the world, met over the course of my daily life or on my expeditions. I firmly believe that what ‘unites us’ is far greater than what ‘divides us’ and increasing our knowledge of how others live, think and behave is vital to the future security of us all and our ability to live together in rapidly interconnected world. Traveling helps me to put this into perspective.
For this reason, I felt that I’d achieved one of my personal ambitions when I was invited to speak at the RGS on Tuesday evening about the Everest2 programme. I wasn’t presenting as an ‘expert’ or pretending to be ‘mountaineer’ with a list of summits behind my name. Rather, I arrived and presented at the RGS as a passionate traveler heading off on a great adventure with the goal to encourage others to continue to look at the world with a sense of wonder and to strive to better understand our place within it.
No comments:
Post a Comment